How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Oncology
Satisfied Customers: 19335
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Oncology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

recently I visited my GP reguarding some stomach discomfort

Customer Question

recently I visited my GP reguarding some stomach discomfort and a lump that I had in the right side of my abdomen, my GP examined me and said that what I was feeling was the top part of my liver??, that is not making sense to me..i was thinking more lipoma etc??, I occasionaly get some light twinges from the area around the lump more after I press down on it for some time.
now i seem to be getting some very mild pain under the rib cage on the right side twinge/stitch like feeling), and occasional mild pain in the centre under the breast bone, just cant understand what's going on with me, and I do have this on a regular basis, I know im not in agonising pain and feel well but it is getting me down when I keep thinking al sorts Im 22
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Thank you,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need assistance please

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.

It is impossible to feel the top of the liver below the rib cage. The top of the liver would be deep and under the diaphragm. It is possible to feel the tip of the liver, or what I typically call the liver edge.

Obviously, since I cannot examine you, it is impossible for me to clarify what is being felt. If you do not trust the opinion of this doctor, then it would be necessary to seek a second opinion. Depending upon what is found on exam, it also may be necessary to obtain liver blood tests or an ultrasound.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is understandable and I shall see into this with my GP soon..its just iv been worrying about this some up its like a twinge/sting sort of pain which varies between the rib cage but is felt more lower down?..the pain does not prevent me from doing anything..does not intefere with my sleep and I have a good apetite.. I just dont understand rhis mild pain. Could you clarify on the possibilities its just im fearing the worst here.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
The list of possible causes is too lengthy to address with the low level of detail that you requested in your original question. I can address the most likely cause, which would be IBS. But you would need to be seen to determine the cause of the pain.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is fine..but with IBS wouldnt I be suffering with bowel problems..not a lump

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I don't know that you have a lump; it may simply be the liver edge.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a lump quite a longish lump cirm but with a bit of give to it.. can not be felt lying gp couldnt find it when he examined me but yet I can feel it all the time, causing me a lot of stress

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Then you need to seek further evaluation, as noted above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been to see another gp today he thinks its gall stones or gall bladder disease.. I heard that word im so frightend now..but he has arranged a scan.. are these conditions treatable. .

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It is treatable; in most situations the recommended treatment is surgical removal.