Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist

With no other lumps or fever loss of weight my 23 year old

With no other lumps or fever loss of weight my 23 year old son went for ultrasound on side of neck. He had a large cystic mass which is why he went in first place. Radiographer didn't know what it was. But said it is a large mass of cystic fluid with a
few tiny hard white bits in. It is not evasive and the cystic sac is not attached to anything and is pushing everything else around it out if it's way. Didn't mention anything else. That's all he could see. Can I assume that if there was any enlarged lymph
nodes that the radiographer would have seen this. Also if there are no other symptoms can u assume from ultrasound that it is unlikely to be papillary thyroid cancer spread through the lymph nodes
This is Dr. David
non invasive is a good sign it is not cancer.
yes, you can assume that if there was an enlarged lymph node or mass, the ultrasound would have seen it.
it sounds like a benign complex cyst in the neck
it doesn't sound like a thyroid cancer spread.
he should follow up with his GP doctor with the ultrasound scan results and see if he needs to have a biopsy of the mass
most likely he doesn't need a biopsy and it can just be watched for now
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just another quick answer thank u. Why did the radiographer fast track him to see a specialist. He said I always like to presume these sort of things that I don't know what it is as cancer until proven otherwise . Is he just covering his back
he is being on the safe side.
I would get a copy of the ultrasound report.
I would be happy to review it with you and help you understand it.
what is the specialist? an ENT ear nose throat doctor?
when is the appointment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u so much for your help. U have been brilliant . He's Actually been referred to a maxilla facial consultant in couple of days times . Thank u for your help . Have given u top ratings ūüėÄ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry meant maxillo facial
that is fine
that doctor can see if a biopsy of the cystic mass in the neck is needed.
good luck
let me know how it goes
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
Thanks for using
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just been to consultant and he said it could be 23 different things . Three of them including cancer so we r very worried. He has to have a mri in ten days
the MRI scan will give more information.
don't be stressed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But what did he mean about the three cancers . What ones. He couldn't see anything in his mouth. said mass could have been there a long time and only shown up now. and that ultrasound doesn't always show up everything
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cystic mass was deep rooted
the MRI and biopsy will be able to tell what is going on in the neck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would lymphoma present with a cystic mass
it could. but it would get larger and larger over weeks and months.a biopsy would be able to tell for sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But if it was non invasive and filled with fluid surely it couldn't be cancer
chances for cancer are very low.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would be have had the classic non well symptoms if it was lymphoma
some patients can have no symptoms.
some patients have weight loss, fever, night sweats.
most patients with lymphoma will have enlarging lymph nodes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But they would have been seen on ultrasound I assume by cystic mass
an MRI scan a biopsy will be able to tell for sure
get copies of the ultrasound report. I would be happy to review it with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to let u know had results from MRI specialist said it was a branchial cleft cyst that needed to be drained . So really relieved . Thank u for your assistance
thanks for the follow up information
I knew it was benign.
thanks for using