How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Category: Oncology
Satisfied Customers: 48705
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
Type Your Oncology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I have a severe pain in my nose it feels as if something is

This answer was rated:

Hi I have a severe pain in my nose it feels as if something is there it also goes up my nose and into my head and feels like a knife going up there it is so painful even breathing hurts I have been to the doctor's and he thought it might be trigeminal neuralgia but I am already on neurotic and they are not helping, he put me on antibiotics and they did help but the pain came back I am now on my third lot of antibiotics, it hurts all the time not just now and again can and is worse if I blow my nose although i am not particularly blocked up can you please help

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having this pain

I'm surprised you haven't seen an ENT doctor yet

you need a sinus CT scan and an ENT doctor needs to do a sinoscopy scope procedure to look into your sinuses.

you could have a mass pressing on nerves in your sinuses or raw or exposed nerves in your sinus mucosa

in the UK, it can take a long time to be referred to a specialist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks it is getting my doctor to agree to refer me I did think of going private but unfortunately I am on a pension and can't afford itbut like me you don't think k it's trigeminal neuralgia

usually trigeminal neuralgia symptoms get better with carbamazepine, also called Tegretol.

usually neurontin or pregabalin usually doesn't work as well.

you would need a brain MRI scan to help the symptoms.

ask your doctor to try carbamazepine and see if it helps

and get with an ENT doctor asap

and ask for a brain MRI scan with contrast to look at the trigeminal nerve and see

also viral infections like shingles or herpes can sometimes infect nerves and cause severe pain.

ask to try an antiviral agent like acyclovir and see if that helps

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Dr. David and other Oncology Specialists are ready to help you