Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

I had piles 3 and a half years ago when pregnant. Since then

I had piles 3 and a half years ago when pregnant. Since then I have had bouts of diahorrhea and bleeding/mucus but mainly constipation. I bleed intermittently but frequently. I last had external piles about 2 years ago and was having problems with bleeding. I went to the doctor who did a digital rectal exam and said I had a few internal piles. Since 2 years ago I’ve had bouts of bleeding etc. I put it down to piles and treated them with suppositories etc.
For the past 2 months I’ve increased my fluid intake to 2 litres a day minimum and although sometimes I don’t go for a few days, I’ve not really had bleeding and it’s been a lot easier to go. I was happy with this but now I’m bleeding again despite not having any piles symptoms or itchiness or any other visible sign. I’m really scared it’s bowel cancer as it’s been 2 years since I had the rectal exam. I had blood tests last year that were fine but could it be cancer along with piles or just cancer? Am really scared

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

your bleeding would not be from cancer.

your bleeding would be coming from most likely internal hemorrhoids again.

you don't have to be scared

you can try over the counter hemorrhoid suppositories made with coco butter which could help

you may need to take solace (decussate sodium) stool softeners to help soften your stools.

http://www.boots.com/boots-pharmaceuticals-haemorrhoid-suppositories-12-suppositories-10084341

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anusol-Haemorrhoids-Piles-Treatment-Suppositories/dp/B001E4G7GM

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I’m worried as my stools are soft and I’m not having trouble going. Should I be bleeding intermittently for this long period of time.? Wouldn’t i have more symptoms of piles?

internal piles may not cause any other symptoms than bleeding.

gluten, white flour, milk can sometimes cause bowel inflammation and bleeding from hemorrhoids.

you may have to change your diet and avoid these foods to see if that helps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wouldn’t piles clear up after three and a half years?

we always have veins and hemorrhoids in our rectum all of our lives.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I’m just worried that the bleeding is actually something serious. It’s been going on for so long and it’s worrying. Thank you for your response

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com