Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a little growth that I pulled off, I got the area

I had a little growth that I pulled off, I got the area biopsied a week later to make sure it wasn’t a dangerous growth. It’s come back saying there was a trapped hair follicle. If there were cancer cells in the sample is there any chance they’d miss them?

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

There is no chance that cancer cells could have been missed.

You do not have cancer.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Another oncologist told me that there’s 50% chance that they would... it didn’t seem right to me

I do not agree.

There is no chance this could be cancer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I picked the growth off a week before the area was biopsied, could that make them miss cells if they were in there?

No that is not possible.

You do not have cancer.

Cells cannot be missed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you an oncologist?

yes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a dermatologist?

No I am an oncologist. Not a dermatologist, but we treat skin cancers which is why I am on the dermatology specialty on this website as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right ok. I thought the doctor that told me there’s 50% they’d miss cells was an oncologist but now it just says doctor. I’m really struggling with why he’d say that there’s 50% chance..

I do not agree with his opinion.

There is no chance.

You can trust me on this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. It’s not possible that I removed all cells when I picked at the area is it? They’d start deeper than that?

No that is not possible

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I’m really scared that they’ll somehow not pick up on the cells but have gotten rid of them from the skin and I’ll never know they were there. Then if it spread they’ll be no signs until late stage cancer..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If something was messed up in storing/processing the sample could that result in a false negative? Or would it just be inconclusive?