Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Oncologist
41363181

My 88 year old mother has non hodgekins lymphona which

my 88 year old mother has non hodgekins lymphona which returned after 5 clear years. She is not fit for any further treatment and has now been admitted to a care home. She only eats bare minimum and sleeps constantly, she can no longer walk and looks a bit disorientated at times. Is mum approaching end of life?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: mum is receiving a slow release pain tablet which she has twice per day, in between times she is getting oramorph which she can have every 4 hours
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: mum has had the pain for around 6 months which gradually has gotten worse - back and side pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no only want answers to the ongoing terminal cancer

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your mother and her cancer coming back.

it sounds like she is approaching the end of her life

that is good she is on pain medications.

it can be very hard to know how long she will live for

it could be weeks or months possibly

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. Nurses still get her hoisted out of bed for shower and toilet, do you think that while she can still cope with this she’ll have a few more weeks ?

I can't see her

no one knows how long she will live for