wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

My mum had inflammatory breast cancer 21 years ago. 5 years

Customer Question

My mum had inflammatory breast cancer 21 years ago. 5 years ago she had intense back pain in her spine. Her doctor did xrays but found nothing and gave her pain killers. Pain went on and off over the next five years but when it returned it came back with more intensity and spread to her pelvis. Her spine also became markably curved and she struggled to lift her arms up. By the time she was referred (two months ago) she was on many drugs (tramadol, amitriptyline) and constantly going down hospital and doctors in agony. After referral she got recalled into hospital and the cancer was everywhere. It had eaten into her pelvis which they strengthened with a rod but she never recovered and passed away. They never found out what cancer it was as the pain was too intense to even turn her. The consultant suggested her doctor had been negligent. Should she have had referrals for mri / pet scan etc ? Should the fact that she had ibc stage 3 all those years ago mean that she should have had extra check ups? She did have a blood test 12 months ago which appeared to be clear and the surgery are saying this is proof that she hadn’t got cancer at that point. I know i will never know what cancer she had but could it have been undiagnosed bone cancer that started five years ago? The mri showed the biggest lesion to be in her spine and pelvis, exactly where she was having pain.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Is she alive still?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, she passed

Do you have access to tissue samples or her body?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, they took a biopsy six weeks before she died but it came back clear. They were a about to do a biopsy in lymph nodes when she deteriorated and it was too late. Pet scan showed cancer everywhere though

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to get the answers you seek.

It is impossible, given what you have posted to determine what was going on 5 years ago before her death.

You can hire a solicitor and sue her first doctor....but it will not get you the answers you seek nor will it change your mothers past or help any future patients. It will only enrich your solicitor and consume your and the doctors life.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know I’m not going to get definite answers but I wondering if her doctors should have done an mri or similar scan due to her history, abnormal spine curvature and five years of pain that was spreading

Given what you have posted I would have done an MRI or CT scan back when her pain started.....

I wish you the very best.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS