Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

Around 9 months ago I had a terrible cold and an ear

Around 9 months ago I had a terrible cold and an ear infection, once the cold had cleared up I had still completely lost my sense of smell and taste. My sense of taste came back after about two weeks and my sense of smell came back after a couple ofmonths I would say. My sense of smell and taste is now ok and has come back but I still can smell a horrible rotting smell, but strangely only when I'm around cigarette smoke and cat food! I'm just wondering if it's normal to still smell this horrible smell 9 months later. But my sense of smell and taste has been restored. I've also found a small bump inside my nostril that feels like its attatched to the cartilidge at the top of my nose. It's hard and immobile and not painful. I can attach a picture if you'd like? I've been told that it's likely a cyst or a projection from the cartilidge and usually I wouldnt be concerned by it: just wondering if it's anything to worry about with my change in smell which happened 9 months ago after a particularly bad cold. I cant say how long the bump has been there for but I noticed it maybe 5 months ago.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

1. Is this abnormal smell perceived only by you or others too?

2. Is there any personal or family history of seizures please?

3. Has there been any abnormal sudden change in your behavior or mood swings?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's only by me, it's also only when I smell cigarette smoke or cat food! I also lived in a house for 4 years which had a bad mould problem, throughout that time I had awful allergy symptoms and had to take an allergy tablet everyday: since moving house about 4 months ago my allergy symptoms have completely gone and I have no symptoms except this small lump at the top of my nostril near the septum and the horrible rotting smell when I'm around cigarette smoke or cat food. No family history of seizures, and no particular mood swings except for having anxiety bouts about the bump in my nose
Typing my response please.
Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that the possibilities are -

1. Phantosmia or Cacosmia.
The reasons could be both neurological like tumor or a simple psychiatric cause.

2. Temporal or frontal lobe epilepsy.
This can cause hallucinations like this.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your reply! Could it not be related to the cold that I had 9 months ago as that is when my symptoms began? I also work with strong cleaning chemicals daily such as rubbing alcohol
It is extremely unlikely to be related to the small swelling which you are having in the nose and also the cold which you had nine months back.

Best regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Even though it originated when I completely lost my sense of smell 9 months ago? I have no other symptoms, just the odd smell. Could it be linked to damage due to cleaning chemicals or my bad allergies?

Highly unlikely as no case has been related to such temporal relationship.

If that is so - it should be consistent and not only with certain smells and locations.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok no problem, so with all of my personal circumstances in consideration, what do you think that it is most likely to be?
Phantosmia please.

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please?

If I have attended your query to your satisfaction please do remember to rate our interaction with a 5 star rating so that I can get my professional credit.

This is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and effort.

Best regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani