Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My Mum has been scheduled 6, 3 weekly cycles of Taxol chemo

Customer Question

My Mum has been scheduled 6, 3 weekly cycles of Taxol chemo treatment. She has had her second cycle a week ago but the infusion was given 4 weeks after her first treatment. She has now said she is not experiencing any of the lows which she did on her first round of treatment and therefore is thinking the chemo isn't working due to this. Is the effectiveness of Taxol reduced if given a week late? Thank you
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8-Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process The Oncologist can help. To begin, have you experienced any bleeding? Pain? Unintentional weight loss?
Customer: No She hasn't
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your mother's medical history the Oncologist should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.

I am pretty sure that the effectiveness of taxol is not the issue here.

This usually is the case with almost any chemotherapeutic agent.

Initially, a patient has more side effects and then gradually, side effects become less frequent as their body gets used to the medication and reacts less, which is what I think has happened with your mom.

You can rest assured that the chemotherapy is working and is not ineffective, it is just that her body has become more resilient after the initial doses.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.
Kindest regards