DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I accidentally drank water that was in a rubber hot water

Customer Question

Hello doctor I accidentally drank water that was in a rubber hot water bottle for months. Actually I boiled the old water in the kettle to re-use it and some of it was left. I totally forgot that it was the same old water and made soup with it in the evening. I'm worried if it was toxic.
I'm really worried about the carcinogenic effect of the water being in rubber bottle for so long. If it is dangerous should I get my stomach pumped?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, water can be stored in plastic containers for up to 2 years even. The risk is that it may have bacterial growth which was eliminated when you boiled it, used it in soup. This is not an indication to have your stomach pumped. Cancer isn't caused by single exposures like this anyway, but by consistent use/exposure of carcinogenic substances.

I hope that answers you? Please touch the 5 stars on your screen to leave a positive rating for my answer, it's very important for me, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it wasn't a plastic bottle but a hot water bad made out of rubber. It smells as well which couldn't smell in the soup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hot water bag*
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used for pains and aches

Ok, I will return your question to the Expert Pool. Please don't do a rating now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't have any suggestions?
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.

Rubber is a natural product and hence not harmful, only some additive color etc may be there in water in traces. Please do not worry too much but watch for any symptoms like diarrhea. Good luck.