Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I had what was believed to be viral tonsillitis 8 weeks ago.

I had what was believed to be viral tonsillitis 8 weeks ago. In that time I started to feel like I was getting better but then I had a set back and started feeling unwell again. Now I’m left with a pain on my left side, which goes through my ear, nose is congested, and pain in throat. What could be the cause, and should I be worried?

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello... I understand your concern.

I need some more information please.

1. What is the symptom which is bothering you the most - nasal block/ continuous sneezing/ runny nose/ cough/ breathlessness?

2. What is the maximum recorded temperature?

3. Are your tonsils enlarged?

4. Do you have snoring or mouth breathing at night?

5. Are you experiencing any daytime somnolence?

6. Are these symptoms affecting your daily activities in anyway?

7. Is there any symptom of painful swallowing?

8. Are these symptoms aggravated by seasonal changes or ambient temperature changes?

9.On average how many days per month do you have these symptoms?

10.How many nights per month sleep has been disturbed due to these symptoms?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) I’d say the symptom bothering me most would be the ear pain or the nagging pain in my throat.
2) I don’t know my highest temp, howeverI haven’t had a fever since my viral tonsillitis 8 weeks ago
3) when I look inside my mouth nothing seems over enlarged or unusual
4) I am not a snorer at night, I have been known to snore sometimes but not every night
5) I have been feeling a little more tired than usual throughout the day but nothing that makes me climb into bed, I usually fight through it
6) the ear pain and sore throat is making me very irritable and feel a little unwell so I’m finding it hard to hold long conversations
7) the pain in my throat I’m experiencing is almost like a shooting pain that isn’t continuous, it can happen when I swallow or can happen without. It is more uncomfortable than it is extremely painful. I am able to swallow just doesn’t feel natural.
8) I am not too sure if these symptoms are being affected by seasonal changes as I have only been unwell for 8 weeks, however I have been taking antihistamines and gavisgone over the weeks to see if it could be hayfeaver or reflux but none ease the pain.
9) the symptoms have been somwhat present everyday for the past 8 weeks, at no point have I felt completely normal in that time.
10) I have had no disturbed sleep due to the symptoms as my body is usually so tired I can fall asleep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I just want to ensure you’ve received my reply?
Just received, I am typing my response.

I understand your concern and I assure you there is nothing to feel anxious about.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that have gathered from you I feel that you are experiencing upper airway resistance syndrome.

This is based on international guidelines and you will require intranasal steroids for this.

The choice of steroids can be Mometasone or Fluticasone and they should be taken twice a day into each nostril for a period of 6 to 8 weeks.

These are prescription medications and currently you can take Claritin one tablet once daily till you get a scheduled appointment other with your primary care physician or an allergic.

As a home remedy you can do warm salt water gargling three or four times a day before food.

Avoid moving around in chill weather and excursions of ambient temperature inside the house.

Your physician might also prescribe medication called Montelukast 10 milligrams taken once daily in the evening for a period of 6 to 8 weeks and this particular drug is very good in keeping the allergy under control on prolonged usage.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from what I’ve described you don’t feel it is anything sinister or to worry about?
I do not think anything serious is going on and I would go one step ahead and clarify your doubt that it is 100% not answer, because from the way you ask I feel that is what you are worried about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a little concerned just as I am only 24 years of age, and have never been unwell to this extent or for this long before. Normal penicillin isn’t budging the illness and over the counter painkillers haven’t quite helped either so it just made me worried that there could be more to my illness. But thank you for your time and clarification. It is very reassuring to know you don’t feel it’s anything too much to worry about.

May I request for a 5 - star positive rating so that I can get my professional credit please.

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.