Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I have a tender part to my neck above one of my lymph nodes

HelloI have a tender part to my neck above one of my lymph nodes which after looking at the anatomy of the neck seems to be my stylohyoid ligament on the right side. My back teeth on the same side seem to ache also and my throat and tongue feel irritated kind of like nerve pain but it’s notsevere pain just aches at the moment. I’ve also been experiencing burning sensation in my ear on the same side and ringing in my ear! Please can you suggest possible causes?Many thanks

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

1. May I know your age and gender please?

2. How long have you been experiencing this pain?

3. Has it been consistent or coming and going?

4. Do activities like touching of the face, chewing, talking, brushing aggravate the pain?

5. Are you experiencing any muscular spasm along the pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am female and 37, it’s consistent really my gums and teeth and the right side of my tongue feel fuzzy and the same side of my neck feels tender. It’s not my lymph node it’s a part above it or behind it that’s feels like a muscle and my ear is ringing. Nothing aggravates it it’s just always there. I have been seeing an osteopath who has told me I have a lot of muscle tension in my neck on the right side but I don’t know if that would cause this. It feels like it would be from grinding my teeth but I don’t think I do that. The part below my ear also aches. Everything just feels fuzzy like a pins and needles type feeling but with occasional pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also feel a little off balance

I understand your concern.

From what you describe I feel that you may be having trigeminal neuralgia.

The second possibility is TMJ syndrome.

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is a condition that causes sudden and severe pain in parts of the face. TN is caused by a problem with the trigeminal nerve, which is a nerve that runs from the brain to the face.

TN causes attacks of sharp and stabbing pain in the cheek, lower face, or around the eye. The pain lasts a few seconds to a few minutes, and usually happens on only one side of the face. The attacks can happen over and over again.

Often, certain movements or activities make the pain attacks happen. These can include:

●Touching the face

●Chewing

●Talking

●Brushing the teeth

●Smiling or frowning

●Cold air on the face

TN can also cause muscle spasms in the face, along with pain.

Your doctor or nurse should be able to tell if you have TN by learning about your symptoms and doing an exam.

They might do tests to get more information about your TN or what's causing it. These tests can include an MRI or CT scan of your brain. These are imaging tests that can create pictures of your brain.

This is treatable. The one used most often to treat TN is called Carbamazepine. There are several others, too. These medicines quiet the nerve signals that cause pain in TN.

If you want I would be glad to explian you more about TMJ too.

May I suggest you discuss this with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello thank you. I have had a CT scan and an MRI of my brain and inner ears and everything was completely clear. Is this something that would have been detected?

If it is trigeminal neuralgia due to nerve swelling - it might be detected on the MRI.

If everything is normal and still you are symptomatic then - it might be TMJ.

Temporomandibular joint disorders are problems with the jaw joint and the muscles around it. The jaw joint, called the "temporomandibular joint," is located in front of the ear where the jawbone connects to your head. To feel the joint, place your finger on your cheek just in front of your ear and then open and close your mouth.

TMJ disorders can be caused by many problems, including arthritis. Sometimes TMJ is due to a combination of stress, jaw clenching, teeth grinding, and other things that strain the jaw joint and the muscles around it. Some people with TMJ also have anxiety, depression, or an increased awareness of pain.

The main symptom of TMJ is a dull pain on just 1 side of the face, near the ear. Sometimes the pain also affects the ear, jaw, or back of the neck. Some people have headaches with TMJ. The pain of TMJ is typically constant, but may come and go. It is usually worse with jaw movement. People with TMJ might hear a clicking or popping sound or have a "crunchy feeling" in the joint when they open and close their mouth.

Your doctor might order a special X-ray called a "panoramic radiography of the jaw." This can show the TMJ shape and bone structure, the teeth, and the sinuses. (Your sinuses are hollow areas in the bones of your face.) This test can look for other things that can cause jaw pain.

No single treatment for TMJ works for everyone. Most of the time, medicines and simple lifestyle changes can help. Most patients get better over time, even without treatment, so patience is important.

Treatment options include -

1. Self care and understanding of disorder.

2. Pain killer medications like NSAIDs.

3. Devices – These are called "bite plates" or "occlusal splints." They fit in your mouth and keep you from grinding your teeth at night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is where the pain seems to be radiating from to my back teeth and ear on the same side. My lymph node is under it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also feel like my throat is irritated on that side

Are you able to palpate a lymph node there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Underneath it yes but it’s not swollen or painful

May I akssk few questions - if you don't mind.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure

1. Has there been any swelling in the neck or in any other lymph node regions?

2. Has there been any unintentional weight loss of loss of appetite?

3. Are you running fever?

4. Are you pale or anemic?

5. Are you having any bone or joint pains?

6. Can you tell me the approximate diameter of the swelling please?

7. Can you upload all your latest lab results please (IF ANY)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no swelling that I am aware of I just have a feeling of throat irritation on that side. I have a lymph node on the other side of my neck that’s bigger but it’s always been like that. I wish I could lose weight lol so no I haven’t lost any weight. No fever. My iron was good last time I checked and not anemic. I have aches under my arms but no swellings. No joint and bone pains other than bad lower back which has been awful since child birth. What lab results do you need? I don’t have any other than my crp is 9 and vitamin d is good and iron is good.

Thank you for getting back with requested necessary information.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with history that I have gathered from you I feel that this should be only reactive lymphadenopathy.

This is extremely common in general population and you need not worry about it.

Many times simple innocuous viral infections also cause this type of lymph node enlargement which gets better by itself in 6 weeks to 3 months time.

As such I can assure you that nothing serious is going on and you can just leave it alone and move forward.

But if you develop symptoms like - prolonged fever/ unintentional weight loss/ loss of appetite/ rash/ bone pains/ pallor or spontaneous bruising/ or sudden increase in lymph node size and the lymph node becoming immobile then you approach your primary care physician for further evaluation of this probable lymph node enlargement please.

May I request for a 5 - star positive rating so that I can get my professional credit please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. Is it normal for the ache to cause wisdom teeth ache and sensitive tongue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have silent reflux?

Yes it is common and it may not be related to silent reflux.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. You are by far one of the best consultants on here I have spoken to a couple of times with other things and you always give such detail and are so helpful! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Thank you for the kind words of appreciation.

I wish you good health and stay safe.

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be happy to :)