How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliot Ruff Your Own Question
Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Category: Oncology
Satisfied Customers: 1785
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
Type Your Oncology Question Here...
Elliot Ruff is online now

My father have been diagnosed with lung cancer. I would like

This answer was rated:

Hello, my father have been diagnosed with lung cancer. I would like to know if chemotherapy and radiotherapy is necessary. We were thinking of proton therapy...
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes I have all his records.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your father's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not really..but I can send him medical reports and CT scans of lungs if that helps....
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please let us know what type of supporting documents you need...

Good morning I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.

I am very sorry to hear of your father.

Proton therapy is certainly an option, however it is a much newer therapy option, and due to the cost is not often funded by the NHS.

It is certainly worth asking your fathers Oncologist if this would be a cancer sensitive to proton therapy and if available. If not, they would advise you of the centres within the UK, but this is more likely to be a private cost.

Alternatively you could see a private oncologist. There are a few indications but also a long list of contraindications for it.

Here is one option within the UK. There are number of other options abroad in Europe. I would contact them to discuss this with them.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Dr. Ruff , thank you for your answer.
I am just checking his papers and he have " squamous cell lung cancer (hope i translated it correctly)". We are living outside of UK for the moment. We are about to see his Oncologist first time on Monday. I guess we will do treatment here. What type of treatment would you normally recommend for this type? Is this type of tumor treatable by proton therapy?

That is my pleasure. It is possible that a Squamous Cell Cancer can be treated with Proton therapy, however this depends on the cancer stage, if there are more than one lesion, if there is any metastatic disease, but also if the treatment is considered Palliative or Curative.

There are a lot of variables sorry. Your oncologist will advise you though, but do ask these questions.

Elliot Ruff and 2 other Oncology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much. I have no further questions.

That is my pleasure, I wish your father well and pleased to see you are asking questions for him. Take care.