Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Is really dark stools normal. I'm 30 no symptoms. Stools are

Is really dark brown stools normal. I'm 30 no symptoms. Stools are completely normal. Not black or tarry just very dark brown, not the whole stool though two different shades of brown to medium brown to very dark brown. Is this normal?

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK.

Stools will change colour mainly due to diet, so this has a huge impact. Black stools is where blood is digested, therefore it is black stool that is the problem. Differing colours of brown stool is not a concern, especially with no symptoms.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No symptoms at all. Would black stools cover the whole stool and it would be tarry black and noticible? Mine is just two shades of brown from medium brown to very dark brown in one piece. No pain or anything just wondering if this is normal.

Yes, generally speaking, as the digestion occurs higher up the bowels and therefore much more mixed. Lower GI problems presents with red blood.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
all is well then, Doctor?

I believe so, yes.