Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

I had an mri scan over 2 weeks ago for a polyp seen on vocal

Customer Question

I had an mri scan over 2 weeks ago for a polyp seen on vocal cord with camera during examination and still haven't heard anything from hospital
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I already had an appointment booked for 3 weeks time before I even had scan and this appointment has not been brought forward nor have I had a phonecall
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I already had an appointment book with ent clinic for 3 weeks time before I even had scan booked and this appointment has not been brought forward nor have I heard anything
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 10 days ago.

Hi thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear you've not heard back from them yet. Most of the time, the ENT doctor will already have received the scan result and will be waiting until the clinic appointment to talk to you about the result and where you go from there. but I would say it's important that the scan is reported before your appointment as otherwise you'll get there and without a result in hand it's a bit of a waste of time. So I would advise you to give the radiology department at the hospital a ring and just ask them to confirm that the scan has been reported, then you know for 100% at least that the ENT doctor will have the result in hand ready to go by the time of your appointment if that makes sense. And if it's not been reported tell them that it's urgent due to an appointment in a few days and they can usually put it towards the top of the list. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They consultant rushed me in for mri scan 2 weeks ago so I would presume they would've read results
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
possibly brought my appointment forward if needed

Yes I agree. Normally the result comes through to the doctor who dictates a letter this is then typed up and posted out and each step is really slowed at the minute due to Covid so you probably wouldn't receive a letter until after the appointment by which time they'll have gone through it with you and where to go from there.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If they rushed me in within 24 hours surely if something untoward found they would call me. They phoned me numerous times to go to mri scan as they had cancellation and wanted to get me in
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
For last 5 minutes of mri scan they injected contrast also

Oh I see what you mean. No we try never to discuss these things on the phone even if normal frankly it's not considered good practice if avoidable. Even if the scan is normal, given the timeframe until the appointment they will likely hold on to the report and wait to discuss with you in clinic. They phoned several times to get you in for the scan as they likely just had an opening and given waiting times for everyone now there's a huge push at the minute to get as many scans done as quickly as possible you see and to make sure scanning time isn't lost for no reason if you see what I mean.

The contrast injection is part of the scan protocol, it has nothing to do with the severity of anything found, it's part of the scan.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if they'd seen something critical or cancerous wouldn't they have brought my pre booked appointment forward?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Or called to make an appointment sooner

Potentially, depending on how serious it is but still given the current backlog there is only so much any appointment can be brought forward. I don't think you can use the situation in terms of appointment time etc to predict the scan findings if that makes sense. The two are generally fairly independent if you see what I mean.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok fair enough. Do you practice I. England or USA?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am at my wits end with panic. Went through it all waiting for results on my lung ct which showed benign nodules to be going through this now, the week after

I trained in England I'm doing a PhD in America at the minute before I come back home. I understand, it must be really stressful. I truly hope your result is fine. All the best of luck for it and the future.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

You're very welcome. Take care.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They are very different answers than I was given earlier on here by another doctor. Not sure where to turn. Many thanks

I understand. I know it's difficult and I could just give a sugar coated answer but I'd rather be straight with you. My approach is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Best of luck again.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
you do believe that it's not good then
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've only had a hoarse voice for a long time, no other signs or symptoms

Honestly it would be a complete guess for me to say. I'd much rather be honest with you.