Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I have no symptoms whatsoever but when I went for a routine

Hello Dr, I have no symptoms whatsoever but when I went for a routine CT scan to check something completely different out it was noticed that my left thyroid lobe is mildly enlarged, containing some nodules, and with retro sternal extension. They are recommending a ultrasound, and of course I am now worried in case it is something sinister. As I say, I have no feeling of swelling, and no symptoms at all. I am 61 years old and the only health conditions I have are menopausal symptoms and eczema which I treat with steroid cream

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Good evening doctor

I am sorry to hear this, however this on its own is not necessarily anything to worry about. An enlarged thyroid can be from inflammation alone from something called thyroiditis.

The ultrasound will be useful as well as a blood test to check your thyroid function.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you - my thyroid function is fine as I had blood tests already when looking for low sodium in blood (all fine now - caused by steroid cream). Are the nodules likely to be benign?

If they haven’t specified they are vascular then they are likely benign. The ultrasound is better at assessing them.