Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I was twisting and bending my neck in an awkward position

I was twisting and bending my neck in an awkward position for one week, I kept checking on the side of my abdomom on my actual side, I carried two bags of coal also then the day after I was eating dinner and half way through my dinner I started feel a strange sensation everytime I swallowed,it's more of a discomfort than a pain. When I swallow solid foods it happens, as soon as I swallow solid foods the sensation/discomfort happens and when the food passes on down the sensation/discomfort instantly goes away. Until I swallow again. I believe I have strained my trapezius muscle but is this normal when you strain to much for these symptoms to occur when swallowing? No medical history, I don't drink or smoke I'm no on medication. The sensation/discomfort has been there for two weeks everytime I swallow solid foods but once the passes on down the sensation/discomfort stops instantly. Is this because I strained my trapezius muscle after bending and twisting my neck for a whole week in an awkward position? I will send photos of location.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The area where the orange mark is.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The discomfort/sensation can best be described like, if you stretch your neck to far forward, you know that sensation/discomfort? That's what I feel with each food I swallow in my back.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I guess my question is, it's been there for 2 weeks and still hasn't eased. Is this totally normal to take longer to heal?

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK.

Hello... I understand your concern. I need some more information please.

1. May I know your age please?

2. How long has this pain been there for?

3. Is it only pain or is there any tingling and numbness too?

4. Is the pain aggravated by movement?

5. Have you used any muscle relaxants?

6. Are you a hypertensive or diabetic?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Age 30 no medical history.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The rest of your questions have been answered when I was describing everything.

Answer this alone please - Have you used any muscle relaxants?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No.

I am typing.

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.

Coming to your questions first -

1. Without usage of muscle relaxants it can rarely go on for 2 weeks.

2. But as it has been there for 2 weeks - better to consider radiculopathy.

3. Symptoms occurring during swallowing is common where there is muscular spasm.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you I feel that the possibilities here are -

1. Muscular spasm or a pull of the tendon in the region which is caused by the bending or abnormal posture.

My suggestion will be to take tablet Ibuprofen 400mg or Tylenol 650mg three times a day after food or on as and when required basis for a couple of days till the pain subsides.

If you are not better with this even after 2 weeks or if the pain is getting aggravated or if you are perceiving any redness or swelling or heat over the region then you will require medical attention please.

Your physician might prescribe muscle relaxant which will set things right.

2. Although extremely unlikely vertebral compression or disc protrusion related radiculopathy has to be evaluated, if you are not better even after a week and your physician might ask for MRI spine to confirm the diagnosis please.

Meanwhile -

1. Keep yourself well hydrated.

2. Do not strain or lift heavy weights.

3. Do not do any abnormal, unaccustomed exercises or postures.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** was talking to another doctor on just answer a few days ago and they told me that because I was straining for a one full week and lifting bags of coal, it could take a month to heal and this is completely normal to still feel such a strain after two weeks and the sensation/discomfort in that region of back when swallowing food.You tell me its not normal to feel it still since its been two weeks and another doctor told me on just answer it can take around a month to fully heal? What one is it?

I am sorry I can only give you my professional opinion and cannot judge other's opinion.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But what about me the patient. I'm worried because you said it's not normal feeling the sensation when swallowing after two weeks from a sprain. So I would like my mind to be at ease and to know the truth.

Yes it is not normal and I suggest you use muscle relaxants and if not better with them - then a MRI spine is in line.

Please do remember that I am giving you my opinion to act on it and not brush it aside and wait and this is in your good will.

I did not say this to worry you - but to act upon it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK so I should take your advice and ignore all the other doctors?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK. Just answer me this. It's definitely not a tumor or cancer? After everything I described?

It depends on your way of satisfaction with the various suggestions.

It is ultimately the patient's decision. I cannot force you to do anything.

100% no cancer and that much I can assure you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Well, if its definitely not cancer related then I'm just going to relax and leave it to heal with home remedies.

Get well soon!

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you  can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

You can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800