KemalG
KemalG,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

Blood in my toddlers poo

Customer Question

Blood in my toddlers poo
Category: Oncology
Expert:  KemalG replied 5 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your baby's age and if they have any medical conditions or take medications? 

Expert:  KemalG replied 5 days ago.

Has this happened before? Any recent changes in diet? Any signs of pain, bleeding from anywhere else, fever, rash, bruise, cough, breathing issues, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, etc?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My baby is 2, no taking no medication or medical conditions
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No recent changes in diet, has been slightly constipated a few days ago! A few bruises but usual toddler bruises I would assume
Expert:  KemalG replied 5 days ago.

And he is well and active as normal?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
completely normal
Expert:  KemalG replied 5 days ago.

In the absence of other symptoms, I do not suspect any sinister or serious cause.

From the picture, it appears that he passed a large stool and he might have strained a little bit. When this happens some friction occurs in the anal passage and there could result tiny bit of blood on the stool or tissue paper. This is not dangerous and resolves on its own.

So, you can monitor him for now and ensure he drinks plenty of fluids to prevent constipation.

If he gets further or more bleeding, or other symptoms, you can then see his GP for assessment.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He has had the bleeding for the last few days, but has been constipated for those days
Expert:  KemalG replied 5 days ago.
If he has been constipated, that is most likely the cause of the blood in his stools. You can still monitor him for now and see if this stops. 

If it persists or he develops new symptoms, you should see his GP for physical assessment.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  KemalG replied 5 days ago.

You are most welcome.