KemalG
KemalG,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I have bit if a chesty cough, I think due to sleeping with

I have bit if a chesty cough, I think due to sleeping with window wide open for a week in hot weather. Had cough for about a 5 days, no phlegm until this morning, it was a tiny amount and pale yellow, the think that surprised me was a tiny speck of blood in it! I also had blood in both nostrils which was odd. Should I be worried? I don't feel unwell or anything, generally fit and stopped smoking years ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your age/gender and if you have any other medical conditions or allergies, or take medications?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm female, 42, on no medication
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have hay-fever etc

It sounds like you have a cold or viral illness.

If you do not have chest pain or breathing issues, then I do not think you need antibiotics at this stage. This sort of viral infection can last up to 7-10 days unfortunately.

Sometimes there could be a speck of blood in the mucus or phlegm and this usually occurs due to coughing. This is not dangerous and you can monitor it for now unless you get a lot of blood.

You can take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen if you are not allergic to these medicines and you don't have asthma or stomach issues. And you can also try warm drinks with lemon/honey/ginger and steaming which can help with the cough and phlegm/mucus.

There are various cough medicines over the counter and you can try one but they don't always work. Steaming can be as effective as those cough medicines.

If you still want to try those cough medicines you can try over the counter pholcodine linctus or codeine linctus or dextromethorphan cough suppressants. You can also try Mucinex and Sudafed for the cough and phlegm/mucus.

And if your symptoms get worse, you feel unwell, or you get more and more bleeding, you should call 111 for further assessment.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** speck of blood is pretty common and nothing alarming at this stage? Just to clarify? Obviously I fully appreciate monitoring and progression is required but in general I shouldn't be alarmed? Sorry I suffer with anxiety :0)

Yes, it is quite common and occurs due to physical effect of the coughing. You don't need to worry about that unless it becomes more and more severe.

It will clear once you get over the cold, but if it continues on Monday, you can always contact your GP.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks!!

You are most welcome.