How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DoctorGZ Your Own Question
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 101
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
DoctorGZ is online now

I was very interested in your suggestion for my mother to have

Customer Question

I was very interested in your suggestion for my mother to have a thorasic cage to support her back. So far I can only track down surgical incertion of supporting bolts etc., Is there any type of support she could wear accept having surgery? I suspect she would not survice surgery anyway due to her C.O.P.D. I have contacted my local hospital and they are reluctant to give me any answers until a vascular surgeon has seen her. The referral has been made to a General surgeon and marked as critical. Therefore I am in need of your help pretty urgently.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning Shantal-Mod

My problem with my mother is that she is 91 years old and she has gall stones and an aneurysm that is 9.2 cm which is pressing on her stomach. It has been suggested by your Dr. David that she has a thorasic cage to support her back as she also has a severe bend in her back and now she is also bending to the side, plus she has two cracks in her spine that are open.


I am aware that my mother could have a stent put in through her groin but I am now aware how high up the aneurysm is. I don't know if you can answer this question, but abdominal aneurysms how high up are they when these things can't be done? And, do you think a 91 year old would be able to survive this surgery allbeit that it would be done by local anesthetic??

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello there. Do you still need help with this question?