How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

The pain started gradually, first the right wrist and then

Customer Question

The pain started gradually, first the right wrist and then the left too. With no particular history of injury, I have partially torn the scapholunate ligaments in both wrists, and also the TFCC in my right wrist (which also had a volar ganglion and synovitis). I have had arthroscopy on the right wrist and the surgeon confirmed a grade II separation of the scaphoid and lunate. The pain is now also intermittently shooting down my hand to some of my knuckles and my wrists are clicking and clunking painfully. I have had two steroid injections in the right wrist and one in the left, but with little effect. Have also discovered recently that I have RBBB. I don't have any redness or swelling, or recent fevers. Do you think these symptoms warrant an investigation Arthritis? If I did have RA, would ligament reconstruction surgery still be a valid option wrists? Thanks help :-)
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Arthritis do this extent would show up on x ray even.
Have you seen a rheumatologist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I haven't seen a rheumatologist yet. Have had an X-ray of my right wrist back in August and there was no mention or sign of arthritis. The suggestion of RA has only come about because I now have the same pain and degenerating ligaments in both hands, which is hard to explain without a specific injury.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You need an MRI of the hands and wrists.
This would definitively show if there is RA
And see a rheumatologist.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.