tazechip
tazechip, M.D.
Experience:  Board certified in trauma surgery and critical care medicine
18722459

I have had pain in my lower back, just above my buttocks for

I have had pain in my lower back, just above my buttocks for about 6 years, but it seems to be lasting longer and getting worse. 3 years ago there were some bony Spurs seen in my lower spine on an xray. I have stiffness in the morning when I wake up and have to change positions several times in the night due to pain and stiffness. Sometimes the pain eases for a few hours, but then starts again if I lift something or move awkwardly. I also get the pain if I sit down too long. I am confused as to which condition I may have as arthritis or spondylitis. As the descriptions I have read contradict each other. What tests might be useful. I am only 37 and female. Thanks
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like but you need an MRI of you lumbar spine to look for disk problems and possibly spinal stenosis--a narrowing of the canal the spinal cord passes through