How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 9571
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

About 9 years ago I hadPlantar fasciitis first in one foot

Customer Question

About 9 years ago I had
Plantar fasciitis first in one foot and then in the other. Each time it lasted about a year and at some points I was having to use crutches to get around. I have had two further bouts of this which didn't last so long in the intervening years. For the past 3 years I have had the same sense of contraction going through my Achilles' tendon and in the last year that has spread through my upper leg and into my lower back. I'm in considerable pain but still manage to work, though have difficulty sleeping at night when it can get worse. I take painkillers every night but try not to take them in the day. The GP has take blood samples over the years which show a steadily rising inflammation but not as yet high enough to indicate a diagnosis. I am concerned about the way it is creeping further up my body limiting the amount of things I can do. Any thought on what might be causing it and what I should do next? The GP doesn't seem to have any ideas. I am 56.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.
Plantar fasciitis develops in response to certain risk factors like bad foot wear, prolonged periods of standing, walking or running, high foot arches, limb length inequality and flat feet. Some factors mentioned here are easily modified while others are genetic.
It is important to identify what the factor is in your case, since the risk factors should be removed in order to halt the progression of the disease.
You should be using Orthotics and special foot wear and if not you should ask to see a podiatrist so that these can be prescribed for you.
If you are in considerable pain that is sufficient to impair your quality of life and has had you dependent on pain killers to get through the day or the night, then I suggest that you ask for a extracorporeal shock wave therapy, or iontophoresis, which are well established non surgical treatments for this condition.
If there is no relief after 6 months of conservative therapy, then you should opt for plantar fasciitis, which is a minimally invasive procedure and can be done under regional anesthesia. This will provide long term pain relief and halt the progression of the disease and make a great positive impact on your quality of life.
In brief, the best course of action will be to see a Podiatrist for this, a primary physician will not be able to help you beyond pain killers which is more than what this condition warrants.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any more queries about this.