How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tazechip Your Own Question
tazechip, M.D.
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 40893
Experience:  Board certified in trauma surgery and critical care medicine
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
tazechip is online now

I wasn’t sure whether to select the orthopaedic or

This answer was rated:

Hi, I wasn’t sure whether to select the orthopaedic or neurologist expert?
I have lower back pain when I try to bend forward. The pain is central to slight left. The same area also stiffens up and hurts when I get up from a sitting position. Subsequent walking loosens the joint up and the pain goes away. When I am standing or walking (unless for long periods) I am fine.
I have been referred to a physio by my GP, but as it’s via the NHS, they just give me exercises to do and see me only once a month. I have asked to be referred to a specialist or consultant, but so far they have refused to do so, I guess due to NHS cost cutting.
I saw an Osteopath privately to get another opinion, and she recommended me having an MRI scan as the pain sounded disc related and she didn't want to make it worse without knowing. I will add an attachment to show the results:
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post the results on this page for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Chip, sure, here is the uploaded file/results

Got it--thanks

Any problem with pain and/or numbness in your left leg?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no symptoms on my leg at all, the pain is just localised in my lower back


We can go over the report but first is your question here whether you can have osteopathic treatment for your pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
albeit it slightly to the left of my lower back

And about what I just asked you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my GP referred me to a physio who is giving me core strengthening excercises to do, I appreciate these are beneficial, but I would like to know whether I would benefit from seeing a consultant/specialist who may suggest injections to help heal the bulging disc. currently the physio tells me the disc bulge is likely to not heal, so she wants to just work on core muscles, but I would like to find a better solution?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, would osteopathic treatment help?

OK--got it

Here's what I would tell you were I your doctor--

Neither the bulging disk nor the protruding (herniated) disk are causing most of your back pain, although the compression on the nerve root may be a factor.

With time and osteopathic treatment including traction the disk bulge and protrusion may improve but there is no specific way to "fix" the disk itself.

I don't see any of this as a surgical problem for now but the epidural injections might help with the nerve root compression.

If I haven't fully covered your questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to continue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doctor. How do you think I should proceed, as my physio just wants to continue with basic exercises. Should I push for the injections, and also see a osteopath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the physio told me that as the pain is not in my leg, the nerve root injections are not for me

I'd go with the osteopath and ask about the injections

I personally would first get you into a customized physical therapy regimen to see if that works on your pain

And the physio is correct--most likely the injections wouldn't help much in your case

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think I should stick with this physio, and also see an osteopath?

I think at this point you need to see the osteopath

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you for the advice, I will book an appointment and hope it helps. many thanks

My pleasure entirely

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for the time I've spent with you John

tazechip, M.D.
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 40893
Experience: Board certified in trauma surgery and critical care medicine
tazechip and other Orthopaedics Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do

Keep me posted as to how it goes with you