Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

My MRI shows wear and tear (arthritis) at C4/C6 causing

My MRI shows wear and tear (arthritis) at C4/C6 causing chronic pain in my shoulder and referring under arm and chest. What can be done to alleviate the pain apart from amitriptyline meds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is causing pressure on a nerve.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

From your symptom analysis I feel that this could be a radiculopathy or a pinched nerve anywhere along its course.

This usually occurs due to pressure or force on the nerve anywhere along its tract by the adjacent tissues like - bone or tendon or inter-vertebral disc (commonly called a herniated disc). The discs that sit between the vertebrae have a tough outer shell and jelly-like center. The outer shell of the discs can sometimes break open, spilling the jelly material inside. This is what doctors call a herniated disc. Herniated discs can cause symptoms, because the jelly material that spills out of them can irritate nearby nerves. Plus, the disc itself can bulge and press on nerves.

There are tests that can check for a herniated disc, but most people do not need them. That's because many people who have symptoms of a herniated disc get better on their own, regardless of what that test shows.

Imaging tests, such as an MRI or a CT scan, can show what the tissues inside the back look like. These tests can find a herniated disc if one is there. But doctors do not usually offer this test until a person has had symptoms for at least 4 to 6 weeks. In most cases, it does not make sense to order the test sooner, because the treatment for herniated disc during those first few weeks is the same no matter what an imaging test might show.

Management includes -

●Pain medicines that you can get without a prescription. (If these do not work, doctors and nurses can prescribe stronger pain medicines.)

●Medicines to relax the muscles (called muscle relaxants)

●Injections of medicines that numb the back or reduce swelling

●Physical therapy to teach you special exercises and stretches

●Spinal manipulation, which is when someone like a physical therapist or a chiropractor moves or "adjusts" the joints of your back

●Acupuncture, which is when someone who knows traditional Chinese medicine inserts tiny needles into your body to block pain signals

●Massage

If not better then surgery might be contemplated.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.