neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Spine Surgeon
206912

My wife has been suffering with what has been diagnosed as

My wife has been suffering with what has been diagnosed as Plantar Fasciitis for 15 months now. She had physiotherapy first, then a steroid injection under ultrasound guidance. She has had a course of “Shock Therapy “ by a chiropractor. But, if anything,
JA: The Orthopedic Surgeon can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Do you have joint pain or swelling? Does it improve with ice and elevation?
Customer: Yes. It’s my wife though. She doesn’t have pain first thing in morning after sleeping. It hurts more if she uses it more
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 15 months. Ice packs help a bit, plus she has a brace that she wears at times
JA: Anything else in your wife's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No. Apart from she’s a bit overweight

Hello -

Does she have pain elsewhere besides the heel of her foot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. I forgot to say she suffers from Coeliac disease

But this doesn't hurt worst on her first few steps of the day?

Has she had any further imaging of the foot via xrays or MRI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She’s only had ultrasound image whilst inserting the steroid. It hurts her as soon as she puts pressure on it despite having orthotic shoes.

OK, thanks.

At this point, I would have her orthopedic doctor order further imaging for the foot.

It seems as if her symptoms are related to inflammation in the area, but perhaps not related to inflammation of the plantar fascia.

Evaluation of the bones is important to rule out issues with small fractures.

Evaluation of conditions like tarsal tunnel:

https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/tarsal-tunnel-syndrome

evaluation of other issues that can cause referred pain to this area, like a pinched nerve in the lower back.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That’s helpful. We will ask for further imaging.