neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

My husband broke his scaphoid in August. He was in a cast

My husband broke his scaphoid in August. He was in a cast for nearly 8 weeks and has been out of it for 6. He had an xray yesterday and it seems that the bone isn't as healed as it should so Dr has ordered a ct scan. If it isn't healing as it should what treatment will he have? He's not keen on an operation as he is no discomfort from it.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes he saw the Dr yesterday. Only medication is a statin.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Hello-

Your doctor will be evaluating how much healing has occurred with this fracture.

This area can heal slowly, and if there is evidence of healing, they may continue to recommend immobilization to try and get this area to heal.

The risk of a fracture not healing here involves the breakdown of the fractured bone with time, which then results in painful arthritis in the wrist.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He's not in a cast now just a removable splint. Would he just have to carry on using that?
That depends on the results of the ct scan. The doctor will be looking to see how far apart the fractured bones are and how likely it is that the bones will heal if left alone, vs. surgically fusing then together.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Some healing has occurred and my husband is not in pain and can use his wrist. How likely would an operation be?
Again this depends on the results of the CT scan. The issue here is that the doctor wants to make sure that the fracture is completely healed, because if it is not, it could worsen over the next few months or years, resulting in significant Wrist arthritis.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
You’re welcome.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Just one more thing. If a scaphoid fracture wasn't healing would it be painful?
Not necessarily, but if a small piece doesn’t heal, the bone can start to break down, and that would cause pain.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry to trouble you again. Can my husband use his wrist as normal or will that cause further damage?

I wouldn't use the wrist "as normal" until cleared by his orthopedic doctor. If the bone hasn't healed, using the wrist normally could further impair it's chances of healing.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Do you think bone stimulation would help?

That is an option if there is poor bone healing on the CT.