neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Spine Surgeon
206912

I had a shoulder dislocation 5 weeks ago and I can not raise

I had a shoulder dislocation 5 weeks ago and I can not raise my arm only slightly also it seems that my deltoid muscle is not working at all it feels flat. I have been booked for nerve conduction study but I think I should also get MRI done to see for rotator cuff tears. What do you think?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: pain is generally the same
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Health is ok c section 6 weeks ago

Hello, I'm Dr. Mark. I am board certified (USA), and have twenty years experience. Please allow me to review your question.

Do you have pain when moving your shoulder around, such as mimicking a throwing motion?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok. I am in UK so not sure how to make the doctors to perform MRI to check for tears
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No thank you just an answer here is fine

Well, the issue here doesn't sound like a MRI of the rotator cuff will be helpful.

It appears that if your deltoid muscle isn't working at all -- the axillary nerve, or the C5 nerve in the neck could be the culprit.

The EMG and nerve conduction study can be helpful to diagnose this.

While rotator cuff tears can cause shoulder pain and immobility, it should not cause the deltoid muscle to not work at all.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok. But should they not check anyway for the rotator cuffs tears just in case?
And what is the recovery time for the damage nerve ?
Will I be able to lift my arm again?

They can check for tears as well, but that doesn't seem to be the urgent issue here.

Hopefully this is just neuropraxia, a temporary nerve issue, that can improve over a few weeks to a few months.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you very much I guess I just have to wait for nerve conduction study to see.
One more question,
Because deltoid muscle is not supporting my shoulder with movement am I more likely to dislocation again?

Yes, you're at higher risk if the muscles around the shoulder are weaker than normal.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Best wishes for your health.

Sincerely,

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much

You're welcome.