How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliot Ruff Your Own Question
Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 3294
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
Elliot Ruff is online now

I have bad chilblains pretty much yearly for the last three

This answer was rated:

I have bad chilblains pretty much yearly for the last three years, this year worse than ever. Two of my toes have got scabs on and are incredibly tender and the others, all on right foot regularly go red and are sensitive to temperature. I also suffer from Reynauds in my fingers - not sure if that's related. Thank you.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: All through winter. Got worse each year for a few years last three being quite bad, lost a little bit of a toe last year which remained sensitive all year. Summer is better when temperatures don't seem so extteme.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not really I don't think. My girlfriend does complain of my cold feet most of the year!

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Pleasure - hoping to resolve this.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

This could certainly be Raynauds and due to vasoconstriction of your toes.

Given the temperature makes a difference, this makes it more likely.

If simple measures of avoiding this such as cold peripheries doesn't work, then there are medication that can help.

A medication called Nifedipine can help. This however would require a prescription which your GP can provide if they agree with this.

They are likely to want to examine you first though.

Would you like a private GP?

Elliot Ruff and other Orthopaedics Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Useful to know - I will try to book an appointment with my GP. Thanks.

That is my pleasure, all the best.