Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have bad chilblains pretty much yearly for the last three

I have bad chilblains pretty much yearly for the last three years, this year worse than ever. Two of my toes have got scabs on and are incredibly tender and the others, all on right foot regularly go red and are sensitive to temperature. I also suffer from Reynauds in my fingers - not sure if that's related. Thank you.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: All through winter. Got worse each year for a few years last three being quite bad, lost a little bit of a toe last year which remained sensitive all year. Summer is better when temperatures don't seem so extteme.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not really I don't think. My girlfriend does complain of my cold feet most of the year!

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Pleasure - hoping to resolve this.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

This could certainly be Raynauds and due to vasoconstriction of your toes.

Given the temperature makes a difference, this makes it more likely.

If simple measures of avoiding this such as cold peripheries doesn't work, then there are medication that can help.

A medication called Nifedipine can help. This however would require a prescription which your GP can provide if they agree with this.

They are likely to want to examine you first though.

Would you like a private GP?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Useful to know - I will try to book an appointment with my GP. Thanks.

That is my pleasure, all the best.