Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have been experiencing pains from the shoulder to

Customer Question

Hello, I have been experiencing pains from the shoulder to mid-back, right hand side of my body and since yesterday this pain has been extremely discomforting and is definitely not normal back pain. I am unable to sleep, work on my laptop without feeling pain/need to cry, so I know something is really wrong. My doctor is unable to give me an appointment and has asked to call back next week to check for an appointment. I feel that I need to get an x-ray but not sure where to start and who to go to as my own doctor doesn't have time.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent injuries, I am feeling heaviness in that area, pain killers help somewhat. I work on laptop +10 hours a day
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: None
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

This is muscular pain due to working excessively on the laptop.

You can try with home treatment initially.
Rest: give rest for 2 days.

Ice: apply ice to the shoulder liberally, it will reduce the inflammation.
Compression: Compress the area with a shoulder splint, available in pharmacies. Also use a splint for the arm, you can use a simple towel in such a way that yur elbow is supported, this will give rest to the shoulder.
Elevation: keep the shoulder elevated above the level of the heart, at night when sleeping use a pillow under the shoulder. Avoid sleeping with the arm raised above the shoulder. Also be sure to take a correct posture while working on the laptop, avoid slouching and keep the laptop at a correct height.

Besides this, the most important treatment is shoulder stretching exercises. This alone will be enough to cure you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jHsraw2NIk

Follow these steps, you should get relief with this.

However if it persists you should show your doctor.

Treatments your doctor can do for you are:
Painkillers.
Physiotherapy - ask for a referral to a good physiotherapist.
Steroid injections into the joint.
Surgery - this is the final treatment option when all others do not work.

Generally home treatment should be enough for this.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much for your swift response