Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

What treatment do you suggest for a lower back injury that

What treatment do you suggest for a lower back injury that has left me with stiffness and constant pain interspersed with severe acute spasms of pain if I move.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Lying flat with my legs bent, I lift heavy parcels in work and its gotten worse over the last couple of days since I finished work on friday
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have the same issue off and on on the right hand side if of my lower back but this is on my left side

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear this. If this is recent, the good pain control is key. Pain control is more likely to allow you to move more freely which is better for the back. Therefore typically in short term, Naproxen and Co-codamol are given. There is also the option of Diazepam in the short term for muscular spasms which can be quite painful.

If urgent, 111 can help with these, but the diazepam is not useful for long term use.

If this goes beyond a few weeks then you should see a physiotherapist. They can assist with firstly assessing the back as per the diagnosis, but also advising you exercises that can help strengthen your back and therefore reduce these symptoms.

If again there is doubt, or you continue to have leg symptoms such as radiation of pain down the legs, then an MRI would be useful.