Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

My 14 months old boy is actively walking for the last 2

Customer Question

Hi. My 14 months old boy is actively walking for the last 2 months but he is placing his legs to the side and always keeps his arms bended towards him. Is that normal? As other children don't do that
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling and it doesn't change from the time when he started walking
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had hip dysplasia
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 18 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Good evening
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 18 days ago.

They are indeed walking early, therefore this is not uncommon.

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 18 days ago.

Have they had surgery or casting for the hip dysplasia?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No. I had dysplasia. He had a scan when he was 2 months old and I was told it was ok, but I was recommended to show him to the doctor when he starts walking. But because of Covid we were seen just by the health visitor when he was 12 months old and just started walking. At that time health visitor couldn't see anything wrong as it was the start and he didn't walk long distances. But his legs positioning doesn't improve. He places his legs to the sides and moves all his torso when he walks and holds his arms lifted and bended all the time.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 18 days ago.

Sorry, I had misread that. This is quite normal at an early age as they develop better muscle tone.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
how long he will be walking like that? Until when that is normal then? Cause I see other children similar age but their walking is very different from my son...
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 18 days ago.

It should gradually improve with time, I would therefore suspect no more than a few months.

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 18 days ago.

If you feel it is not improving, then ask your GP to refer them to your local paediatric team for this to be assessed.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok, thank you. I will wait for a bit.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 18 days ago.

That is my pleasure, all the best. I hope this improves soon.