Farokh Wadia
Farokh Wadia, Dr
Experience:  Expert
112594791

My husband, nearly ninety has a chipped bone in his wrist

Customer Question

My husband, nearly ninety has a chipped bone in his wrist following a fall. He can only walk with a frame and is struggling to cope with life. We wonder if he really needs a cast for a chipped bone when he has so many health problems to deal with. The visit to the hospital surgeon lasted two minutes as he warned us he was busy as soon as we entered his room. Any advice please?
JA: Do you have joint pain or swelling? Does it improve with ice and elevation?
Customer: No pain or swelling just the ongoing problems of moving about to go to the loo for instance. He says if he does not move he will lose his ability to do so.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your husband's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: He has had a stroke, bypass surgery 20 yrs ago,a pacemaker, hernia , catheter, Zoladex injection every three months, arthritis
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Farokh Wadia replied 16 days ago.

Hello I am Dr Wadia, and I am an Orthopaedic surgeon.

I will try and answer your questions as best as possible.

I am really sorry that your husband is struggling with the cast and using the walking frame.

By any chance, do you have a picture of his X-ray that you can attach here?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No sorry we do not.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We were told he also has arthritis in the wrist which was not surprising.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No we do not want a phone call. My husband is very deaf

Ok. No worries.

It would have been easier for me to give advice based on X-ray.

Anyway,

The factors to consider when treating a fracture are to ensure adequate stability while it heals and at the same time allow early mobilisation.

Most times a chip fracture is just that...a tiny chip of bone coming off the edge. But at other times, a chip may indicate avulsion of ligaments which would mean the joint is unstable (especially if it's a chip that comes off the tip of the radius (radial styloid)).

The former can be treated with simple splint or crepe bandage but the latter requires cast immobilisation.

Now that he has a cast, it may be worth considering modifying his walking frame. There is something called a gutter frame, whereby he can put the whole forearm on top of the frame and hold the end grip with his hand.

Please ignore the phone call request. That's automated and I haven't requested it.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We will look to see if we can find a gutter frame then. Thank you for the idea.

The way forward is for you to contact the hospital back....if you know the name of the orthopaedic consultant, then ask for his secretary or if you don't, then ask for any orthopaedic secretary.

You need to explain to them how your husband is struggling with mobility. Most would arrange for this to be sorted.

Alternative is to contact the hospital and ask for the physiotherapy dept and speak to them about mobility issue, asking for a self referral. This may help sort out his mobility issue until his cast comes off

I hope you find the right solution for your husband soon and I agree keeping his mobility is paramount. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you we appreciate your help.

No worries