How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 8896
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now

L am a woman of nearly 70'. Two years ago l believe l had

Customer Question

l am a woman of nearly 70'. Two years ago l believe l had blackout at the top of our stairs as l do not remember falling and my partner found me at the bottom of our stairs. At firs l noticed pins and needles in my left foot,(have had my feet privately investigate and told that the outer edge of the nerves have died. l understand this but have problem with the centre of my spin which is painful when sitting leaning to back of chairs and when lying to sleep. l should mention that l was diagnosed with curvature of my lower spin about four years ago which was operated on
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: No medication except paracetamol by my Doctor which does not help
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides paracetamol for this?
Customer: Just other over the counter such as nurofen
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: l had a trapped right sciatic nerve from August 1983 until l had a right hip replacement in 2014
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Orthopaedics
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark and happy to assist you. I’m a board certified physician. Sorry that you’re having low back pain. I can offer some suggestions.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 days ago.
I can think of several causes for the back pain. First is that you did have surgery so that can cause scarring and pain. Degenerative arthritis and degenerative disc disease can be another cause of the pain. A vertebral compress fracture is another possibility. I would recommend X-rays of the lumbar spine and even get an mri. Conservative treatment should be tried first. A combination of ibuprofen, heating pad to the back and physical therapy. A referral to a pain management specialist is a consideration as a steroid shot may help.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
l have had an x ray with the NHS and MRI none of which help, but am able to punch with fist in this area and feel no pain
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 days ago.
You mentioned that you do have pain in the spine. The X-rays and mri should have shown something abnormal. Do you have the reports to upload?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
would a chiropractor or osteopath possibly be able to help
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 days ago.
It really depends on what the tests showed. Since you had spinal surgery the spine can’t be normal. Physical therapy is the initial treatment.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
have never had any form of physical therapy.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 days ago.
I would ask your gp to order that for you. It can do wonders for back pain.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK thanks very much. will do that
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 days ago.
You’re welcome . Feel better.