Farokh Wadia
Farokh Wadia, Dr
Experience:  Expert
112594791

I've recently had a wrist arthroscopy. Quote "Radial side of

I've recently had a wrist arthroscopy. Quote "Radial side of the wrist was fine. The scapholunate ligament was fine but he had a very degenerate non repairable tear of the tfcc which was debrided and large tear creating a grade 4 injury to a small area in the radical side of the wrist as well. This was debrided too. " the surgeon informed me that it would not be possible for me to Box, I am wondering exactly why, and looking for a second opinion on if there is an alternative and somehow can get a procedure to be able to as it's my career choice.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, none.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello.

I am Dr Wadia. I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and I will try and answer your question as best as possible today.

May I ask how old you are?

I seem to have lost you.

Based on the information you have provided, especially the arthroscopy findings, this is what information I can offer you.

Non reparable degenerative tear of the Triangular Fibrocartilage has been dealt with by debridement at the time of the wrist arthroscopy. This should give you relief of symptoms especially for your normal day to day activities. However, boxing especially professional elite boxing is going to constantly load your distal radio-ulnar joint (joint at the end of your forearm, just above your wrist). Normally the TFCC takes this load and impact, but since you don't have that structure, this load will eventually cause that joint to wear out and become arthritic and painful.

There are other procedures that are described and can be done, such as shaving off part of the ulna, shortening the ulna and something called as "Wafer" procedure. You could discuss these with your hand surgeon. But the prognosis for any of these procedures remain guarded in terms of boxing career!

I hope this information helps.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I think I understand better, thank you very much. It makes sense now. I'm 22 years old.

No worries.

Take care

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would you by any chance have an estimate of how much use over a period of time the joint would need to wear out? I know it's difficult to guess because it depends on the use.

It depends on use as well as the joint and whether the joint is upper limb or lower limb.

In your case, the joint would last a lot longer if u were not loading it with activity/boxing (estimate 20-25 yrs). But a lot less if loading it regularly (perhaps 10-15 yrs). This is obviously an estimate and I may be completely off the ball park figure.

I don't think there is any study to look at long term outcome of TFCC degenerate tear specifically in Boxers!!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
You say 20-25 years if I wasn't loading it with activity, does that mean I'm essentially destined to mess it up by regardless of boxing by the time I'm around 45, eventually? If so, does that not mean that I should look into the alternative you stated such as the wafer procedure even when excluding the idea of boxing ?

It's a proposition worth exploring with your hand surgeon. He should be able to guide you the best as he knows exactly how the joint looks on arthroscopy and MRI.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay that will be all thank you!