How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shahid Karim Your Own Question
Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Category: Orthopaedics
Satisfied Customers: 1000
Experience:  Medical Specialist
Type Your Orthopaedics Question Here...
Shahid Karim is online now

26 with a re occurring slipped disk. Honestly, I don't even

This answer was rated:

Hi, 26 with a re occurring slipped disk. Honestly, I don't even need to do anything for it to go. It's gone about 6 times this year, one time took my to A&E where I had an MRI. I want to go to my GP to see if they can investigate this for me and see what can be done. Surely this shouldn't be an issue at my age, so frequently, and not even doing anything to have it slip on me? What can GP do for me please? Alternatively I'll go privately as I know the NHS can cover everything

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about what's gone on that sounds difficult for sure. It is rare for this to be happening so often and you really do need a referral to see a spinal surgeon, not necessarily for an operation but at least to go through your MRI/possibly repeat it and look for changes as well as to explain to you why it's happening and also whether there are any procedures that can be done to limit it. Usually they'll start with explaining what movements you should avoid and some exercise/physiotherapy to see if that helps and the rest depends on the specifics of the MRI scan really.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the right side of my hip and inner thigh so I think it'd L4 that's slipping. Thing is the past 2 times it's gone I've literally not been doing anything other that sitting on the sofa, then sitting on the train. It's as frequent as one a month that it goes. However I get twinges in the sciatic nerve at least one or twice a week

I certainly think seeing a spinal surgeon will be the first best step.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How do I access this? Through my GP?

Yes that's right, frankly they should have done it already but if you just tell them what you've told me they'll get you referred and you'll see the specialist soon after.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Great thank you so much, I'll do that - thank you for your reassurance that it'll be taken seriously. To be honestly I just didn't want to bother them asking them to investigate something during the pandemic

I understand that and it's not life threatening or anything but you do deserve to be comfortable and able to get on with your life so please do speak to them. You're so welcome! I'm glad I could help if a little. Do come back if you've any questions in the future and all the very best :)

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much!

Anytime, take care.

Shahid Karim and other Orthopaedics Specialists are ready to help you