Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Orthopaedics, Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I got bitten by my parrot (it bled) and i went to my gp who

Hi i got bitten by my parrot (it bled) and i went to my gp who checked my tetanus status and cleaned my wound and dressed it. I asked for antibiotic and he said he didn‘t think this was necessary as the wound was very small and i was sent home. I was wondering what can happen now? I am scared an infection will occur as i wasn‘t given an antibiotic. Any symptoms i need to look out for, particularly in the case of parrot bites?
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

I would tend to agree that this type of bite is less prone to infection than those sustained from dogs, cats, humans etc

However, it would be sensible to apply some antiseptic healing cream (e.g. Savlon, Germolene etc) regularly until it heals which should avoid this small risk.

It it does happen to become more painful, painful or discharge then do seek further medical advice.

I hope this is helpful.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you! I will get this cream. Thanks very much for your help
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there a risk for a systemic infection or just local?
Just local really