drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor
Experience:  I have done fellowship in traumatology, orthopedics (France).
5625079

Do I have a hernia? Symptoms developed over a 2 week period.

Do I have a hernia?Symptoms developed over a 2 week period. Starting at 5/10 pain to 7-8/10 pain in week 2. 9/10 discomfort.It started with right side groin pain and testicular pain. The pain then spread to the inside of my right thigh as well which is very sore. I then started gettingweirdpopping sensations and the feeling that liquid was moving all over my lower body. Then I got the same poppingsensation on the left side of my groin and the same liquid sensation over my lower body. Now both sides of my groin are painful, but the right moreso. If I feel around on either side, it makes me slightly nauseous. The pain/discomfort iof my symptoms overall is very bad and I'm wondering what could be causing this. I spoke with 4 different doctors. My GP thought hernia because when she poked on my groin there was a lot of pain in a classic hernia spot, but she couldn't actually find a hernia. The others thought probably not a hernia on the basis that they couldn't find one and there was no pain when they tried all the spots. It was also suggested it could be an infection. But my antibiotics they gave me have done nothing to help my symptoms so far. I haven't had problems going to the bathroom other than some pain. No bruising or blood in urine etc... blood and urine tests came back clean. STI test clean. I have no pain in my lower back but it seemed like it might still be a nerve suppression issue causing refered pain perhaps?I have an ultrasound booked but only in 2 weeks... I am in a lot of pain right now and have to stay in bed all day. I would just like another opinion on what's going on here. Thanks!

Welcome to Just Answer.

Answers here are for education and information.

I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks!

I am reading the question.

What is your age?

Do you have swelling in the scrotum, groin, pain in coughing, a fever, bloating, or gas?

Where is the pain located exactly; lower abdomen, groin, scrotum?

What did the ultrasound and the CT scan show?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
31.No visible swelling anywhere. Coughing doesn't seem to hurt. No fever. I've had a lot of gas recently, which isn't unusual for me but maybe slightly more recently?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm still having to wait 2 more weeks for an ultrasound...
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Haven't had CT either or MRI

Which area is the most painful; groin, scrotum, lower abdomen, or all?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Right side groin is the worst.

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 3-5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Left side groin is the most painful right this second, but usually it's right side groin at like 8/10 pain. Left side at a 5/10 but right now it's at an 8/10 also. Testicle pain feels like it's in the tubes rather than the testicles itself but could be wrong. Might be both

It is not due to a hernia.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Iliopsoas tendinitis

2) Pinched nerves in back

3) Osteitis pubis

Chronic groin and scrotal pain is usually related to noninflammatory conditions but chronic infections also should be considered. Because the testes arise embryologically in close proximity to the kidneys, pain arising in the kidneys or retroperitoneum may also be referred to as the groin and testes. So an abdominal ultrasound, intravenous pyelography, and a CT scan of the abdomen also should be done to evaluate this pain.

A urine and sperm culture for pyogenic organisms and mycobacterium should be done. This should be able to point toward the chronic infection and give the guidelines for further management.

Following are the other causes to be considered for the pain are;

1) Recurrent torsion

2) Torsion or inflammation of the appendix of the testes

3) Infectious epididymitis

4) Noninfectious epididymitis; occur due to reflux of urine through the ejaculatory ducts and vas into the epididymis, producing a "chemical" inflammation

5) Referred pain - the genitofemoral, ilioinguinal, or posterior scrotal nerves CAN CAUSE REFERRED PAIN. Other causes of referred pain are abdominal aortic aneurysm, ureteric stone, lower lumbar or sacral nerve root impingement, retrocecal appendicitis, retroperitoneal tumor, and postherniorrhaphy pain.

I hope your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
my testicles have been check many times in the last week for a torsion and I've been cleared of that to my knowledge.I was given Ciprofxacin to take incase there was an infection. So far I have done 3/10 days and have felt zero improvements but I will continue to take.Can I ask why you think it's not a hernia?Also, not that I would hold u to this of course because obviously u can only see so much over the internet, but purely out of curiosity, what would u guess is most likely?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
any idea why I might feel nauseous when I feel around the sore areas?

Only medical imaging; ultrasound//CT scan/MRI can diagnose it.

Hernia causes swelling and pain is absent 99 out of 100 times (and will always accompany many other symptoms).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Understood. With epididymitis, wouldn't ciprofloxcian attack those symptom?And again, any idea why I would be feeling nauseous? (Not all the time, just sometimes if I feel/check the areas)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also worth noting that some of the weird symptoms seems to stop when I lay flat on my back, but not all.

I have given you possibilities and no concrete diagnosis so nothing is established or ruled out completely. Ciprofloxacin may not be sensitive to epididymitis in many cases.

Symptoms getting better on lying on the back may indicate passing kidney stones and pinched nerves in the back.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Understood. Thank you very much for your thoughts!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I thought about kidney stones, but 2 weeks seems like a long time and there was nothing in the blood tests etc...

You are very welcome.

A urine culture may help.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Stay blessed.