How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JohnMichaels,MS,LPC Your Own Question
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 951
Experience:  25+ years working with familes and 6 children of my own.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC is online now

My 14 year old son is suffering from depression. We visited

This answer was rated:

My 14 year old son is suffering from depression. We visited our GP yesterday who will be referring him to the youth unit based at the Sick Children's hospital in Edinburgh. However this will take about 6 weeks. My son awoke this morning in an extremely distressed state and refuses to go to school. Any suggestions who I could contact so someone could see him possibly today?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Please note, this is not therapy, but information. I do hope I can help you though. I am sorry to hear this. Depression amongst teens is a growing issue and very serious. I am glad you are doing something about it. Yes, I am certain there is help available. I imagine you can find a therapist of counselor close buy. Your doctor should be able to make a referral. If not, I suggest you check with the facility you vac e been referred to. They likely know of someone in your area and will require him to be seen before they release your child anyway. If you still do not come up with help that way, check your pho e directory. I am positive there are therapists in your area. I so appreciate you taking care of your sons need this way. Depression is often looked over. It is a sickness though that must be dealt with much like any other sick Ed's. let me know if you have further questions. I Do want to be a help.
I see you were not satisfied with my response. I apologize if I did not give you what you were looking for. I thought your question was if you needed to seek help In The time between now and his admission. My thoughts are yes, maybe seek a referral from the GP or the hospital he is being admitted to. I really do agree with you and fell that is the steps you should take. there are likely outpatient clinics in your area that would be very helpful to your son. Please inform me if that is not the response you are looking for and I will do my best to help you. I really do want to be a help. If this is the answer you were seeking I would appreciate a positive feedback. I really hope to be a help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think you have misunderstood my reference to the Sick Children's Hospital and the Youth Unit. He does not need to be admitted. The Youth Unit offers a counselling service to enable young people to talk about their problems. He has not been diagnosed with clinical or any other depression. At this stage he just needs the services of an expert to guide him through this difficult time. However we do need a professional to assess whether this is indeed a phase common to his age group or whether he is suffering from a more serious condition. Do you know of any services availble in the Edinburgh area?

I am in the US, so my knowledge is limited. Please check out this link: I really did understand he was being admitted. I would be concerned as well. I would ask the doctor for another referral or seek a second doctor. I am sure there are other services available in your area. Another thought is online counseling. I can offer that through this I believe or you can check out Pleas let me know if I can help. I work with children like yours very day. I hope that was done help to you anyway. I wish there were more i could do. Just let me know.
I did see this on the link I referred you to. I t seems perfect: call them and voice your concerns. The longest it would take here is seven days.

Contact Counselling
Counsellors across the city of Edinburgh

Tel: 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Email:[email protected]
One-to-one counselling
Children and Young People's Counselling
Family Counselling
Post Natal Depression Counselling
Depending on income, from £25 - £35 per 60 minute session, Students and Trainee Counsellors £25
Fast Response Appointment within 7 days. Ongoing Counselling Immediate.
Roslin Brown
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for your positive rating. It took a bit for it to sink in what you were looking for, but we finally got there. I hope I was some help anyway. Let me know if there is ever anything else I can do for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes email online can be a tricky form of communication, thank you for persevering . I hope you realise that my previous negative remarks were directed to justask not you. You have been very helpful.

Thank you for your feedback
Hi! I appreciate you allowing me to help you maybe arrive at a solution the other day. I hope I was helpful. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

John Michaels, MS, LPC