How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hintonrae Your Own Question
hintonrae, Teacher and Youth Mentor
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 514
Experience:  Mother of Three (Teen, Middle School, and Toddler), High school Teacher, Youth Mentor, Tutor, Writer, Family Blogger, Grad Student
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
hintonrae is online now

My doughter has two children with her partner and she is

This answer was rated:

Hi my doughter has two children with her partner and she is not happy letting her partners pedants have iunsupervised visits with her children. This is a joint division between her and her partner, the grand pedants are threatening to take her to court so they can have the children. Have the grand pedants have any legal rights to have unsupervised access to her children. Thanks
Hi, there. Thank you for your question and the concern for your grandchildren. To clarify, by "joint division," it sounds like you are referring to a joint custody situation? Were your daughter and her partner ever married or legally bound to one another?In the U.S., grandparents have very few custodial rights to their grandchildren. They are strengthened by having played a parental role in their grandchildren's lives or by being able to prove that they play a stabilizing role in their lives. Their appeals are also considered more strongly if they have documentation of their positive influence in the children's lives.The appeal is weakened considerably if the parents were not married, as the grandparents have no real legal right to be in the children's lives.The following article is an excellent discussion of the ins and outs of this very topic. I highly recommend it for further reading. I am, of course, also available for further discussion. I hope this has helped!
hintonrae and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
And I forgot the link!