How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistJen Your Own Question
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 3784
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Professioanl Coach
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
TherapistJen is online now

I have a soon-to-be 3 year old son and I am currently a

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a soon-to-be 3 year old son and I am currently a single parent. The father of the child is in his life and sees him on a regular basis. However, I love someone else and want to be with this person who I have known for over 16 years, but I am worried what this will do to my child in the long term and whether I should stay with the father for my child.
If all people involved...the adults, handle this with grace and dignity and show your son that there is a lot of love to go around, he can do well. Kids may struggle when the adults aren't getting along and use that child as a weapon against one another. He can have a relationship with this new man and his Dad and still thrive. It sounds to me like you and his Dad can manage this space well with open communication and an agreement that all can move forward and thrive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how the father will take this which is a problem. Does the age of my child help with the change as he is so young?
I believe he can do well if the parents do well. sure he may have some feelings and reactions to it all, but that doesn't mean it ends up bad...Kids follow how adults behave so model good behavior and he can feel safe and I hope you can get his father on board for the best interest of your child.
TherapistJen and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you