JohnMichaels,MS,LPC
JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years working with familes and 6 children of my own.
68372260

My 7 year old has favourite teddies and a bracelet she likes

Hi there My 7 year old has favourite teddies and a bracelet she likes to wear (I wear one too) however her dad has said that when she stays at his house which is for a long weekend - 3 nights and sometimes 4 at a time - that she cannot bring anything with her from home. He says she has everything she needs at his house and wants to ban everything from home. Obviously my daughter is upset about this and I have told her to pack her bag and put anything in it that she wants but he is now threatening to go to court to stop all this and also to stop all her extra curricular activities on his time. What can I do? How can I talk to him and tell him that I think its important for her that she can bring an take anything she wants... also why is he doing this? is this normal? thank you
Hello, my name is***** don’t know how to say this, but to say he is doing it because he is a jerk. He seems to be taking out his anger and frustration with you out on your child. I imagine if he were to take you to court it would backfire in him, especially concerning her extra curricular activities. I’m not certain about the teddy bears though. I think your best bet is just tell your daughter she will have to leave them with you and let him deal with the repercussions. Whatever you do, try to be supportive of him, but don’t take the blame for the bears.