Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

My 7 year old is a very affectionate child who constantly

Hi there
My 7 year old is a very affectionate child who constantly tells me she loves me. a few times a day and we have a very affectionate relationship. However this changes when she is at her dads house - we split up when she was 3 months old and she sees him every other weekend Thursday to Monday and during the holidays. When I call her when she is with him or when she calls me she never says 'I love you' There was a time when she used to get so upset going to his house and I used to have to force her to go but now she is much happier going. Why does she refuse to say I love you when she is away when she is usually such a loving child in person. Should I ask her about it when she comes back from her dads house this time? Thank you

To me this appears to be probably normal, I believe it may be related to the hostility she has about you guys not being together,

This is normal - and will improve as she gets older,

You can certainly gently ask her when you guys are having fun again, about why she does this, and let her come out with an explanation - this may take more than 1 time, but remain open to her answer...

You probably do not need to worry, but can discuss this with your pediatrician in the next visit as well,

Please remember to leave a positive rating if you found the answer helpful as this is the only way we are compensated for the time and effort spent answering your question,
You can always get back for any clarifications even after rating me,
Warm regards