Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

4 year old has a phobia of heights

Customer Question

4 year old has a phobia of heights
Category: Parenting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is scared of going on slides and it disripts his daily life how can i help hin cope with it thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

Normally 4 year old kids will have a lot of fears that are not classified as phobias, since they tend to outgrow most of these.

1. Help your child talk about what's frightening him. Kids may know what they're scared of, but they don't always have the words to explain. ...
  2. Validate, then move on. Once you know what the fear is, let your child know you're taking it, and him, seriously. ...
  3. Make a plan. ...
  4. Offer encouragement, and be patient.

Some common childhood fears are:

• Being alone
  • The dark
  • Dogs or other big animals
  • Bugs
  • Heights
  • Getting shots or going to the doctor
  • Unfamiliar or loud noises
  • Imaginary monsters — the “thing” under the bed, etc.

So this is generally not something to be too much worried about.

Here is how you can help...

You can ask him the reason why he is fearful.

Tell him that it is alright that at present he is scared of heights

“Wow, that does sound scary!” or, “I know a lot of kids worry about that.”

Once you’ve offered reassurance it’s important to move on quickly. ”We don’t want to dwell on offering comfort around the scary thing, because even that can become reinforcing and take on a life of its own.” Instead, start talking about how you’ll work together to help him start feeling braver and get to the point where he’s able to manage the fear by himself.

Work with your child to set reasonable goals. For example, you can tell the child to climb just 4 steps on the slide and tehn get down.

PRAISE the child for doing this !

“Saying things like, “You’ve got this!” or, “You’re being so brave!” can help your child feel more confident,”. Kids, especially younger ones, may need a few tries before things stick, so don’t give up if your child is still asking to not climb more than 2 steps after 3 days :)

Read more here

https://childmind.org/article/help-children-manage-fears/

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. A TIP would be even better! If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD