TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Professioanl Coach
64783947

I have a question. My son is aged 10. Over the past year or

Hi. I have a question. My son is aged 10. Over the past year or so, he has started to eat so much food. He eats a full meal Morning, Lunchtime and nighttime. Every meal has to have everything in there. So for breakfast, its beans, waffles, eggs and a few other things. If he doesn't have this, he gets very very grumpyI think he must be eating food as if he is a 20 year old. How can I limit the amount of food he eats daily and avoid him getting grumpy if he doesn't get a full meal with everything on the plate??
He is growing and clearly he is needing this food. Does he get exercise? Is his weight and height in range for his age?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He is developing a bit of a belly. He exercises by playing outside but I think he must be eating 5000 calories per day

I would set up an appointment with the pediatrician just to see if he is having a growth spurt and needing more food during this time. It is also possible this is emotional eating and if he might be using food as a way to soothe himself or cope with any stress he might be feeling. You can also address it with his pediatrician and possibly explore having him talk with someone. But, the first stop is the pediatrician to rule out any medical cause.

Let me know if I can support you further.