How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Vasavada Your Own Question
Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Category: Paediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 4402
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
Type Your Paediatrics Question Here...
Dr. Y. Vasavada is online now

can a gp help if my child has short term memory

This answer was rated:

can a gp help if my child has short term memory

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Please describe exact symptoms - he could be having either poor memory, or short attention span due to hyperactivity attention deficit problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She has sat a dyslexia assessment in which she scored low in many areas but she scored very low in her auditory sequential memory.It showed very poor short term memory and working memory capability.They said she finds it hard to retain verbal information and this is why she muddles up her words.She scored low in non verbal reasoning skills her spelling,single word reading and many others but it was decided she was not dyslexia.

Her brain is perhaps wired that way, and there is no medicine available to correct that. Only way could be repetition of auditory input. If there is any defect in hearing ability, a hearing aid can help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

but could it be something else or is there no point looking into this

If there are other neurologic signs or deficits, tests like MRI or EEG may be needed and help may be sought of pediatric neurologist. Other than that, for single sympXXXXX XXXXXke she has, no remedy except re-inforcement by repeating instruction ( say repeating 3-5-7 times) would help.
Dr. Y. Vasavada and 3 other Paediatrics Specialists are ready to help you