Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My baby is 5 months old & has a swollen fontanelle since

Customer Question

Hi there.My baby is 5 months old & has a swollen fontanelle since yesterday morning. I took him to a&e yesterday and the paed was happy with him but said to keep a close eye on him over the coming days.My son has tetralogy of Fallot & had his OHS in January at 11 weeks old. He is not on any medication & is thriving.He is teething heavily so it is hard for me to know if his grizzly mood is because of teething or anything related to fontanelle swelling. He is not any more irritated than normal but is more clingy. He is breastfed on demand & is feeding frequently.He did get sick in the middle of the night & also this morning but that s not unusual after he gets up because he takes up wind & has a very sensitive gag reflex. He then got sick again 10 minutes ago but again this was after he had been gagging when I gave him a teething remedy so I do believe the gagging caused the vomit. He has not randomly vomited at all without something causing him to gag.I can still press on his fontanelle & feel a pulse from it. It is not extremely hard. But I am concerned that it has been over 24hrs now & the swelling has not gone down. The pead said that it was on the larger end of normal. But for my baby, this is an unusual symptom because, if anything, his fontanelle can be often seen to be slightly sunken.Can you please help & reassure me? Could the teething cause the swelling? Could a virus cause the swelling? There doesn’t seem to be any other explanations for it online apart from extremely worrying scenarios. After 5.5 months, this being the first time it has happened, can this be perfectly normal & no reason for concern?I rang the cardiology hospital & they too told me to observe. But when do I need to take action?No temperature, no rash, still interactive & smiling when not having teething pains. Please help. Thank you
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am glad you brought the baby to the A&E for evaluation and the doctors said the baby was fine

A tense or bulging fontanelle occurs when fluid builds up in the brain or the brain swells, causing increased pressure inside the skull. When the infant is crying, lying down, or vomiting, the fontanelles may look like they are bulging.

Teething pain can cause crying and some swelling of the fontanelles.

do you have a baby thermometer to check for fevers?

as long as the baby is feeding and peeing and pooing and sleeping, those are the important things.

I would not stress about the fontanelle, the bones will fuse up in time

let me know if you have questions.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com