Dr. Y. Vasavada
Dr. Y. Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I’m having a bit of a hard time with my baby Anders who is

Customer Question

I’m having a bit of a hard time with my baby Anders who is 17 weeks old. He’s a windy baby and generally does spit up post feed.
Over the last month he’s started spitting up throughout the day and can be quite a bit.
He doesn’t nap during the day and I think if he does wind wakes him up. In the day he will sleep on me and I pat him if he wriggles then goes back to sleep.
This last week he’s gone from sleeping 7pm-3am 3am-6am to 7pm-11pm/12 then waking every couple of hours until 5 when he wants to fully wake. He is pulling and wriggling during feeds like his tummy is uncomfortable until he pulls off as he is distressed and will cry. I burp him which takes his attention away but he is doing a 5 minutes feed instead of 10mins.
In the day he goes from happy and giggling, to grouchy and upset
Category: Paediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Y. Vasavada replied 3 months ago.
Hi, greetings. He sure is having gas mostly sucked during feeding. Please keep head end up during feeding and burp thoroughly during and after each feed. May give half ml Benadryl syrup and see. Good luck with his growth curve
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Why do you think it’s so much worse this week and really upsetting him compared to before?
With growing size the feed volume too increases while stomach capacity may not match. Please give smaller feeds more often during waking hours.