Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS, Fellowship in sports medicine. Deals with general pediatric surgical disorders.
5625079

My daughter for a year now has been having pain in her back

My daughter for a year now has been having pain in her back and sides, she has had several urine infections but this is stil ongoing 9 months later. She is off school today because the pain in this area hurts. She had a kidney ultrasound and said that was ok by the looks. She has an appointment on the 14th to see what to do next.
She was on antibiotics for 2 months
She is 7 years old
Female
No other health problems

The pain in the back and sides, with a history of several urinary tract infections, warrants to look for cysto-ureteric reflux.

This is the reflux of urine from the bladder to the ureter (the tube which joins the kidney to the bladder).

This can be done by the voiding cystourethrogram.

She needs to consult a urologist.

Also if an x-ray of the back has not been done need to be advised to rule out congenital abnormalities of the spine.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time with you.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi my daughter was seen today by a consultant. They are concerned about her lower spine and want to do xrays and scans. She has night sweats and has trouble weeing. What investigations or diagnoses are they looking at? They didn't want to say in front of my daughter and said they will ring tomorrow but I can't wait until then. What could the possibilities be of lower spine pain

The congenital abnormality of the spine like spina bifida is one of the commonest and can cause all of her symptoms.

The other possibility is tethering of the cord due to some chronic infection or pressure due to blood vessels (termed hemangioma).

Please consider a 5-star/positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.I

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.