Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

My soon to be 4 year old girl keeps having tamptraums which

Hi, my soon to be 4 year old girl keeps having tamptraums which results in harming herself by hitting or biting her self. These tantrums can be triggered at any time and can last for hours. I'm really concerned as they are happening more frequently and at any moment. Usually every morning when she wakes up and throughout the day. She is an identical twin girl and her sister is the complete opposite. As we are very concerned any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not seen a doctor but it's getting to the stage where we have to do something.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Expert should know?
Customer: All fit and healthy
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am typing a detailed response please hold on a few minutes and excuse my slow typing.

Hi...Tantrums may happen when kids are tired, hungry, or uncomfortable; or because they can't get something (for example, an object or a parent) to do what they want. Learning to deal with frustration is a skill that children gain over time.

Tantrums are common during the second year of life and rarely later on, a time when language skills are starting to develop. Because toddlers can't yet say what they want, feel, or need, a frustrating experience may cause a tantrum. As language skills improve, tantrums tend to decrease.

When the kid is screaming at the top of her voice because she knows that you are agitated by that and that you will bend to whatever the wants are.

At that particular point of time the best way is to keep your composure and not to react to such behavior.

It is very common at this age to react like this and get things done because the kid cannot get things done by reasoning or by dialogue.

If you start yielding to those demands just because the kid is screaming actually this will reinforce this behavior because the kid's mind automatically learns that if you scream you will get things done.

At the same time the kid should also learn that whatever the NEEDS are will be automatically met with but if it is not good for the kid, the WANTS will never be yielded to.

Please note the subtle difference between the needs and wants.

For example if there is a small toy car on the upper shelf, even before the kid asks it or immediately after the kid demands it, it has to be given to the kid.

But at the same time if the kid demands a glass jar it should never be given whatever screaming and tantrum the exhibits.

This is what you can do to avoid or prevent tantrums -

1. Give plenty of positive attention

2. Try to give toddlers some control over little things

3. Keep off-limits objects out of sight and out of reach

4. Distract your child

5. Help kids learn new skills and succeed

6. Consider the request carefully when your child wants something

7. Know your child's limits

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We appreciate your advice but the recommendations are how we actually approach each situations and we feel that she is getting worse and the injuries are increasing.

I know that it is difficult situation. May I suggest a direct scheduling with a child clinical psychologist please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you. How would I go about arranging that?
You need to you consult with your primary care physician or her pediatrician and get referral please.
I am extremely sorry to say that this is not a referral service.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No that is fine and thank you for all your help.

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.